Monday, January 19, 2015

New Area: Durham!!!

Well! I was transferred into Durham 5th Branch!! I am with Sister Thompson, from Phoenix, AZ!!! Crazy!!! But, this area is proabably the most "ghetto" I have seen since I have been out on my mission.. But there is a lot of Hispanic people so it is good! This week has been FULL of miracles.. and just amazing tender mercies as well. So lets get right into it :)

Well, transfers was hard! I didn't want to leave Sister Swalberg! I just love her so much.. she was so much fun, and just SO easy going! We never had any problems-- ever! Daisy also was there at transfers, and she just started crying as well as one of the other members that was there to say goodbye. So, that was hard! Just everyone crying! haha. But I really had no idea where I was going before, so when I found out I was going to Durham I was super excited! We basically are white-washing the area because sisters have been covering this area but were assigned to the Apex Stake, Spanish.. and they spent most of their time down there in Apex... so we have a lot to do!! And the Lord has truly been preparing this area for us.

Our very first day, we went out to try and see a family on the roster that lived pretty close to us and then we got there and didn't have an apt number so we just started knocking doors in that complex. We had a couple funny experiences.. one lady said "Sorry I can't hear you!" ...because her dog was barking really loud! And then she just slammed the door shut and locked like 5 locks on the inside!! hahahaha. It was pretty funny.. and then we knocked this other door, they let us in and it was an African family. They were from Ghana! The daughter who was only like 13 let us in, and her mom who didn't speak really any English wasn't in huge favor of it... but we came in and sat with the kids while the mom was in the kitchen watching us.. and these kids.. WOW. I have never met kids that spiritually in-tune. We taught them a really really simple version of the Restoration, and they were amazed with Joseph Smith's experience. We even talked with them about baptism! Then we had the 10 -year old son pray at the end.. and I have never heard a more faithful prayer from a 10-year old --EVER.. It was such a neat experience.. when we left we were just like --wow..... We didn't even know what to say about that! haha. But then we had to give their info to the English sisters to follow up with them! :)

We have been going through the former investigators in our area book a lot lately.. and we have been trying to meet with them again. We went and saw this one lady the other day who was taught just a couple times previously. But she told us she is just extremely confused. She is just not sure what to believe and basically when she was telling us this, I felt like it was Rosa and Rosie again. It was pretty amazing tho, because I was able to then just have that DEEP desire to help her understand these things like I did for Rosa and Rosie even though I had only known her for about 15 mins! We taught a really powerful Restoration lesson and by the end the Spirit was so strong. She is going to pray about everything and try reading the Book of Mormon. Later that night, I don't think I have ever prayed so hard for someone in my entire life.. It was an incredible experience. I really hope that she is able to receive that answer and the Light in her life.. It just breaks my heart when people are that confused and lost. I am so grateful I have the light of the gospel in my life. and that I have really not ever had a moment where I have had serious doubts or confusions about what my purpose in life is.. or what my true identity is.

Ugh...my TIME on here IS RUNNING OUT ALREADY sorry!! So the last amazing thing that happened:
We went and saw one of the investigators the sisters had been teaching before the other day.. and we are supposed to always ask people who else they know that we could teach you know.. well this time we were about to leave and we were walking out the door and then I had a prompting that was like YOU NEED TO ASK FOR A REFERRAL. So I turned around right before the door shut and I asked her who else we could visit! She told us of one of her neighbors in the next building over. While we were walking to our car.. I just felt like we needed to go and contact her friend right then. So we went over and they were walking up to their house right as we were too. They are a WONDERFUL family.. so prepared. They know great things about the church from different things they've seen our church do in their country.. They are from Honduras and they had seen some of the temple that just recently got finished there in Tegulcigalpa! So great! So we set an appointment and went and saw them last night. We talked about the temple because we brought them the Ensign that has it on the front to show them! And then taught them the Restoration.. and wow. It was amazing. The dad, Nelson, asked if there was a prophet today at the very beginning!! And we were like, "YES!!" haha.. By the end they said they would like to be baptized! They really really do want to know if this is the true church. They understand what that would mean- SALVATION... and they want that :) honestly afterwards we just had such PURE JOY the whole way home we were so giddy haha and I am just SO grateful.. the Lord is SO good. SOO SOOO good. He loves His children so much.. and He has heard my cries. :)

I love this new area! I am so excited to be able to just work SO SO hard to the end.. (I am guessing I am dying here..) But I love you all! thanks for everything.
have a good week :)


-Hermana Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment